My throat is being clutched by a dark man. I strain from it's grasp, but his sharp nail are piercing through my skin. He let's go, finally, but I feel the fatal blow. My throat is covered in blood and my vision is blurry.
"No way out. This is what happens when you join the Resistance!" the dark man cackled while I gasped for breath...
I opened my eyes seeing darkness everywhere. I thought I had died and everything was real, until I heard my dog barking. Sammy was still there. I sighed in relief, but seeing that it was two in the morning, I went outside on my balcony and stared at the moon.
I'm Zoe. Regular fourteen year old.
The doctors say I'm not normal. I've only been sick once. I rarely cry at all. I always find the bright side on everything. My eyes are a speckled blue and gold. That's not abnormal to me, but to everyone else, I'm a freak. I guess my eyes freak everyone out.
Not that I'm ugly or anything. Actually, that's another thing about me: I'm stunning. I have blonde curly hair (which I hate), ruby lips, a bit more modest breasts, and hips that are wide (no, I'm not fat). I really am a knockout, but I'm still a freak.
More things freakish about me: I run really fast, I can bend people to do my will, and I swear I glow sometimes. Or maybe its a trick of light. What's wrong with me? I don't know. I guess its just me.
Sammy charged through my room. She ran to the balcony and rubbed against my leg. My mom, dad, and Sammy were my true companions. I smiled at her and petted her head.
I kept wondering about that dream. I've been having the same dream for a week. I almost get killed by that dark man and his cold eyes. It's like he hates me. Then again, pretty much the world hates me.
I just stood there. Wondering about that dream. It felt so real, yet it was just a dream. I fell asleep, but it was a dreamless one.
"Zoe! Get up!" Mom yelled. I groaned, but got up anyway. Mom was one of the people I trusted most. Out of four.
"I'm up! Let me change!" I yelled back. I rushed into the closet and pulled out my regular clothing: tattered jeans and a faded shirt under a sweatshirt. I brushed my curly hair several times before going downstairs.
"Hey, honey," Dad said at the coffee table.
"Morning, Dad," I mumbled. I took my plate which was oatmeal and milk. I wolfed it down, stuffed an apple in my pocket, packed my lunch, and got out to run to school.
Even though Goodman High is many many miles away, if I leave early, I'll make it to school with no sweat. I started down my street and rushed onto the highway. A few more miles later, I stopped at Shell. I bought a water bottle and continued the rush to school.
"Look at her. She's walking to school as usual," I heard one kid say.
"She's a freak. How can she run that distance?" another whispered. I ignored the retorts and walked into school.
I scanned the hall for any "funny and humiliating" traps set up for me to fall in. I stepped on each square carefully, dodging water spills, banana peels, and stacks of textbooks on the ground. I made it to my locker without tripping or falling. I was getting good at this.
"Aw!" I heard the freshman say. I bet they were wanting to see me fall on my mug.
School was as boring as usual. I sat alone at a table. An empty table. I just munched on my apple.
I rode the bus back home. Well, as close to home as it gets. The bus route isn't anywhere near my neighborhood, so I take the closest exit and run straight home.
"Hey, Zoe!" I heard someone yell. I was at my neighborhood already and I saw a guy on his Ripstik. Only one person besides me has a Ripstik. It's Lyon.
"Hey, Lyon," I replied. Lyon was my best friend. I've learned to trust him and he's learned to trust me. Lyon was the man who would risk his life to save me. I'd do the same for him. He's considered a freak as me. Except for the fact his eyes are speckled green and gold. I sometimes see him glow a golden color. I see me glow silver. His tattered brown hair was all in his face, never wanting to cut it.
"I got to get home, Lyon. I can't hang out today. I'm sorry," I said.
"S'okay. As long as you promise to hang out Friday," Lyon replies.
"Of course, I will!" I said.
"Promise? Bird's Wing?"
"I promise to the bird of glory," I laugh. We always made a joke about that. I run along the neighborhood and run up the porch on a hot afternoon in California. Our beach house.
I open the door expecting to find Mom. Instead I see soldiers holding a decree.
"Zoe Gi? You're under arrest for crimes under the Dark Society," a man said.
What?
No comments:
Post a Comment